Everyone knows what a cigarette is…
But do you know about the modern alternative of the infamous cancer-causing device? Do you know why vaping is far better than smoking?
E-cigarettes or electronic cigarettes are handheld electronic devices which trigger the feeling of tobacco smoking. The device heats the e-juice (the liquid used in e-cigarettes) to generate vapour which is inhaled by the user, similar to smoking cigarettes.
The liquid contains glycerin, nicotine, propylene glycol and flavourings. Note: It may or may not contain nicotine. The practice of smoking e-cigarette is also known as vaping. E-cigarettes are also referred as vapes.
Reasons Why People Prefer E-cigarettes Over Conventional Ones
E-cigarettes are much healthier than conventional cigarettes because of the simple fact that it does not release noxious gases like hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide when used. The other benefits of e-cigarettes are mentioned below:
● They help users to quit smoking cigarettes because the nicotine content can be reduced at regular intervals to train their mind and body against smoking conventional cigarettes.
● Its smoke does not contain tar, a gummy residue that is commonly found in cigarette smoke.
● They are odour-free, unlike conventional cigarettes, which have a foul odour.
● They are used for recreational purposes
● Users can evade smoking laws and policies because the same laws that apply to smoking cigarettes do not apply to vaping
● They are easier and safer to use because cigarette smokers who smoke indoors are at the risk of severe fire-related incidents while e-cigarettes don’t require fire at any point in time
● Less harmful than smoking cigarettes; a perfect alternative.
The motivation factors mentioned above clearly explains why the vaping industry is booming at a phenomenal rate. Hundreds of new products and inventions are introduced every year to cater to the growing demand of the e-cigarette industry.
The E-cigarette Industry
The first e-cigarette is believed to be launched in 1963 by Herbert A. Gilbert, who defined his patent as a smokeless, non-tobacco cigarette, where he replaced tobacco and paper with heated, moist-flavoured air. The modern e-cigarette design is patented by Hok Lik, a Chinese pharmacist and inventor, in 2003.
It was first launched in China in 2004 and then sold globally with the help of internet.
1) Millions of tweets were analysed with relevant keywords, like the electronic cigarette, e-cig, vape and others.
2) There were two primary reasons for people to choose e-cigarettes, i.e. firstly, it helped them quit conventional cigarettes and secondly, it enhanced their social image. Other reasons were as follows:
a) Variety of flavours to choose from
b) Safe to use indoors
c) Low cost
d) Favourable odour
3) Over 50% annual increase has been seen in e-cigarette users
4) E-cigarettes are taking over a significant proportion of conventional cigarette market every year
5) A higher percentage of e-cigarette users are ex-smokers
6) Users are demanding more variety of flavours and higher strength of nicotine in e-liquids. These demands are helping the industry to grow at a rapid rate
7) The demand for e-cigarettes is high in countries where conventional cigarettes are more expensive
8) Vaping is considered to be 95% safer than conventional cigarettes
9) Cigarettes kill hundreds of thousands of people around the world every year
10) Smoking reduces the lifespan by at least ten years
1. There are over 20 million vape users worldwide
2. The highest growth in vaping industry is seen in Europe. There are over 2.8 million vape users
3. The UK is considered the supermarket for vapes because over 17 million vapes units were sold in 2016-17, and it has also seen an annual growth rate of 50%
4. Over 2.9 million adults in Britain use electronic cigarettes
5. Over 1.5 million vapour users are ex-smokers
The following are some essential facts about smoking cigarettes:
1. Smoking conventional cigarettes cause more deaths around the world than HIV, alcohol & illegal drug abuse, motor vehicle injuries and firearm-incidents combined
2. It causes 84% of all lung cancer deaths and is also the major reason for breast cancer in women
3. Over 93% of oropharyngeal cancers are caused by smoking
4. It causes impotence in men and reduces the fertility in women drastically
5. Smoking increases the risks of cot dead by 25%
6. Regular smoking ages the skin prematurely. It becomes 2-3 times more likely to experience facial wrinkles.
7. Passive smoking is another severe result of smoking. Each year, over 600,000 people are killed due to secondhand smoke or smoke-related-diseases.
Switch to E-cigarettes
The benefits and facts mentioned above show why people are shifting towards the vape industry. The conventional cigarette market still owns a massive share of the pie, but as the new market is growing at this rapid rate, the world is not far from swapping the two industry; encouraging safer personal health and environmental health.
If you are a smoker, then switch to e-cigarettes right now!